We all know that sewing can be a time-consuming and noisy process, but it doesn’t have to be. Sewing machines are notorious for being noisy, especially when you’re working with thick fabrics. If you’ve ever had to deal with a noisy sewing machine, then read on. Sewing machines can create more than just noise in your home or studio- they also create vibration and sound waves that can produce some pretty serious hearing damage if left unchecked. The good news is that there are many ways you can reduce the noise coming from your sewing machine without making any major changes to the way it operates. This post will show you how to reduce the noise of your sewing machine by identifying what is causing the noise in your machine, and then giving you some fixes so that you can sew in peace.
Reasons: Why your Sewing Machine is too noisy?
A sewing machine is supposed to make a certain level of noise, so there’s no way to completely quiet it. But, there might be a sewing machine that is making too much noise so it is necessary to keep it quiet so that you may have your sewing experience pleasant. Let’s find out the reasons for which your sewing machine might be noisy.
- Loose parts: There might be loose parts in your sewing machine that are not set properly or you have to tighten it. Loose parts in the sewing machine can cause a lot of noise, so tighten all the loose screws and nuts before you use your sewing machine again.
- Broken parts: Make sure that if there is any missing or broken part then replace them as soon as possible because they will make more noise when operating. Also check the belts to see whether they are loose or broken.
- Clogging: There might be some clog in the bobbin case, thread path that can make your sewing machine to produce more noise. Or else there may also be a problem with needle bar because it will not move up and down properly if any of these things are wrong so you have to check them before operating your sewing machine.
- Maintinance required: A properly maintained sewing machine always make less noise as compared to a poorly maintain one. So, if you are not getting proper maintenace of your sewing machine then that might be the reason for which it is making more noise and also reducing its performance.
- Proper oiling: There should be some oil on the moving parts so keep those parts lubricated otherwise you will get a lot of noise. Also, clean the machine properly and oil your sewing machine so that you may get better performance next time.
- Damaged needle: If you are using a damaged needle then it will make more noise when sewing. So, always use a brand new and good quality of needles so that your machine may work properly without any kind of interruption.
- Lint and debris: One cause of a loud sewing machine might be lint and dirt under the needle or inside the bobbin area. So make sure to clean the bobbin case and needle area before you use your sewing machine again.
How to quiet your Sewing Machine? – Practical Steps
Some of the solutions for making your sewing machine quiet. There are so many ways in which you can reduce noise coming from a loud sewing machine. Check the below-given ways that you can follow to reduce the noise in your sewing machine.
Balance your Sewing Machine
One of the most important factors might be the position of your sewing machine. So, a sewing machine should be placed in such a way that the floor on which it is standing must be leveled so that all parts of your sewing machine are balanced. If your machine is placed on an uneven surface, there’s a chance it might produce unusual sounds. The best way to solve the problem is to look for the best sewing machine table. Usually, sewing machine tables are designed in a way that you can get the most out of your sewing experience.
This is another reason why your sewing machine is making too much noise. Make sure that you clean and maintain it regularly. You can also invest in a cover for the dust so as to ensure protection from dirt and debris. Sewing machine needles are responsible for making holes on fabrics, however, it is very important to maintain them properly. The best way to get the job done is by using a sewing machine needle threader which will enable you to remove and place back your needles easily without causing any damage.
You need to make sure that you oil your sewing machine properly. As well as, you must do it every couple of months. Ensure that oil is applied on the specific parts where there’s a chance for friction to take place between moving parts and metal. There might be lint and dirt in your bobbin area too which might cause your sewing machine to produce more noise. Make sure that you remove any kind of dirt and lint under your needle and bobbin area so that everything works in a good manner.
Invest in a good model
There are some sewing machine models that are famous for producing high-quality yet least noisy sewing machines. If less noise is your priority then always look for a sewing machine brand that manufactures sewing machines with low noise. For example, Janome is known for producing quality sewing machine which produces the least amount of sound while stitching and also has some good features that will enhance your sewing experience.
The sewing machine brand is not the reason every time because there are some models from Janome which might not be as quiet as you want. So, considering the best silent sewing machine is also necessary. For example, sewing machine models with the least features are mostly manufactured for beginners and they are affordable, portable, and quiet, above all. While industrial sewing machines are mostly used in tailoring and sewing shops where there’s a chance for noise to be produced. Industrial sewing machines are meant to be used by professionals and more power consumption is required to work professionally.
You might fail to reduce the noise produced by your sewing machine despite trying the above-mentioned ways to reducing the noise. You can drastically decrease the noise produced by sewing machines by soundproofing the environment. There are different kinds of materials available out there which you can use to decrease the noise in your sewing machine. For example, old pillows or towels made with cotton are widely used as soundproof materials which will help a lot in reducing noise and also provide more comfort while working on it. You might be thinking why pillow? Well, there’s actually not much difference between pillows and other materials. Pillows have a high thread count which will reduce the noise produced by every stroke of your sewing machine.
If you are thinking about how to attach a pillow then there’s no need for worry at all because it is really easy and simple. You just need scissors, needles, and some threads along with old pillows or towels that can be used as soundproof materials. Now, the question is where to attach this soundproof material? There are many areas that you can use for attaching a pillow and will help in reducing the noise produced by your sewing machine. First of all, check out underneath your bobbin area which might be one of the reasons why you are facing so much difficulty while stitching as it produces more noise.
If you are still not able to reduce the noise produced by your sewing machine then it is time for one of the most important tips which will help in reducing sound drastically and that’s stitching softly instead of applying extra force on the fabric while working with a loud needle. If there’s too much noise produced by your sewing machine then it might be the reason why you are applying too much force on the fabric while stitching. It is better to stitch softly without putting extra pressure on fabrics so that no strain occurs in moving parts of your sewing machine and also reduces noise considerably.
You can also make your sewing room soundproof. There are some things you must do before that:-
- Place the machine in a corner and set up a table around it which will act as an isolation barrier between the noise of your machine and others.
- Use heavy curtains to cover all sides of your machine so that vibration doesn’t affect the noise.
- Put your machine behind a closed door so that no one is disturbed by its sound while working in other rooms of house.
Well, there are some easy ways to reduce the noise produced by your sewing machine which will help you a lot in stitching with no tension. You just need to pay attention towards these simple things and stitch without any worry of noise produced while working on it. If you have already tried everything then maybe its time for soundproofing environment so that reduction of noise becomes easier. By soundproofing the environment, you can drastically reduce the noise produced by your sewing machine and make it work smoothly without any tension of making people around disturbed due to its high pitch sound.
I hope you will enjoy today’s guide on making your sewing machine quiet and silent. So, if you really enjoyed do not forget to share it with your fellow sewers. Happy sewing 🙂